Monday, April 8, 2013

Natural Flea Control Tip

Fleas are an unfortunate fact of life when it comes to owning a dog or cat. While topical monthly flea control products, such as Frontline or Advantage, have definitely cut down on the hassle of dealing with fleas, these products only work if the flea bites the dog. Fleas can still irritate your dog before they bite. Fleas can also hop on your dog outside and hop off when your dog comes in the house.

There are commercial insecticide sprays formulated to kill fleas, but one of my dogs has sensitive skin, so I try to avoid unnecessary chemicals when possible. I researched natural flea repellents and found that white vinegar can be used to deter fleas from jumping on my dogs in the first place.

When the flea season is in full swing, I keep a spray bottle filled with two-thirds water and one-third white vinegar by the back door. Each of my dogs gets a spritz of the water-vinegar solution when they go in or out of the house. I usually target the top coat of fur near the areas where I tend to see fleas. So far, this has helped immensely in keeping my dogs flea-free in the summer months.

No comments:

Post a Comment